Monday, August 17, 2009

First day, done.

Today was my first day of school, although we still didn't get to do any work, we start that tomorrow (I can't wait!) and today was just a round tour of the school we won't spend that much time in and introduce ourselves to the students in the other departments and listen to a lot of information. And then they played Duke Ellington for fifteen minutes.

My class feels really comfortable, like everyone gets along fine already, and especially when forming a duckling line behind our teacher as she showed us around the big building this morning, and then getting mixed up with all the other students and teachers milling into lecture halls and theatres, you started picking each others faces out in the crowd and tended to herd... I guess that's just what we humans do.

I didn't get any sleep at all last night, I did go to bed at around four, but I couldn't sleep, and then at six I got up. But I was fine all day, I even went over to my brother's house after school, I needed to borrow his printer, and I decided to spend some quality time with my niece and nephew, we watched some of Asterix & Cleopatra, and then I was offered dinner before going home again, which I just did after much travelling and some disturbing conversing with random guy on the metro train.. he was very unkempt and his jacket was torn in places, plus he was carrying two plastic bags with empties, but he was my age and didn't seem like a junkie or anything, but then, the more we spoke, it became clear that something wasn't quite right, because he would drift off and space out, and he seemed disorientated and kind of sad.. but he was polite though and not frightening at all, like most people you'd see on the transit in Van.

So it's twenty to nine, I'm exhausted, I don't think I'll get any more work done today, I think I'll just finish my coffee, and take Ted Hughes to bed with me.

No comments: