Saturday, June 13, 2009

Don't expect any favours in life.

So I just finished the script for this director guy I've been in contact with. And just as I was about to send him an email and let him know the script was done and to request to have his mailing address so that I could send it to him (since he didn't want it emailed because he was so paranoid as to think someone would hack into his inbox and steal the idea) only to discover that he beat me to it and emailed me. I thought it was a funny coincidence, he's probably just emailing to check up on me and the progress of the writing process, I thought. Well, the fun doesn't end there...

His email said that it was great brainstorming about the script with me, and he wanted to let me know about the recent developments in the production plans with dates and so on, and if I still wanted my name on the credit as someone who helped work on the script, I needed to send it to him, if I was still interested. Also, he'd found two nice girls for the roles, in other words he's replaced me, even though he offered me the role from day one and we had an agreement, which is why I agreed to help him work the script in the first place. He said that I could be his AD if I wanted, if not good luck in the future and with school.

So, let's recap... he quote un-quote fell in love with me and said I was perfect for the role because I was beautiful and had gorgeous eyes and blah blah blah, and then I started critiquing the script and he turned into a lemon for about a minute and then when I started making suggestions for changes he realized that I actually knew what I was talking about and jumped at the opportunity to have a co-writer on board, gushing about credits and future collaborations and even went as far as to offer me a job in his production company... then, after I've put all of my own projects on hold for a couple of weeks to soley work on his script and rewrite it for him as soon as possible so that he could apply for funding and whatnot, he's been busy breaking our agreement and replacing me behind my back with not so much as an apology for the fact, let along an explanation!

You know I am sick and tired of being used, and even though I never trusted this whole thing for a minute because I know from experience that things never get handed to you and unless you work your butt for something you should not expect to get a thing, I just hoped for a while that maybe, just maybe I would be so lucky as to have something going for me... that I could actually get somewhere on my own over here, but you know, the only way to get anywhere in life is trustworthy friends you can depend on and hard work and persistance. I have persistance, when I really want something I can work hard even though I don't do it as much as I should, and the friends I trust and depend on I've left behind in Vancouver, which means from now on I am completely on my on and a lot of very hard work lies ahead... I know now that this program that I've been accepted to was meant to be in my path, that I am supposed to soak up as much experience and learning as I can in a year and make as many connections as possible, because I am not going to get discovered, because life is not a stupid fairy tale and I am going to have to make my own destiny and fortune.

And that's what I am going to do.

Fucker. He can stick this (much better, less stereotypical and sexist) second draft of his (before I started working on it) ridiculously awful script where the sun doesn't shine. Fuck him and the horse he rode in on.

That's all for me.

8 comments:

kevin said...

what a dick...that kinda thing is a big no-no....well i dont know what the chances are, but if people ever ask you what hes like to work with just tell him how he screwed you over like that.


And dont worry, as much as it really sucks to have that happen to you, I know youll find a way to dust yourself off and keep going because your will is too strog to let one little bump in the road stop you from getting what you want. Thats one thing I admire about you :)

Ana said...

You know, he is a pretentious-prick-not worth your trust-asshole that THANK GOD! is out of your life. You are way too much of a talent to waste your creativity on people like that.
And you know what? As horrible as it feels now you were lucky that he showed his true colors before you invested more on him. And I'm with you: he can shove his script right there!

Ida Nieninque Thomasdotter said...

thanks guys, you're right! I was crying for about a minute, then fuming for about an hour, then I wrote this and then I decided to bounce back! and I will :)

Dear Ida said...

FUCK HIM!

and please tell me you didn't give him the copy of the script you helped write...

oh and don't respond either he's not worth any kind of time.

Ida Nieninque Thomasdotter said...

Oh but it was worth it... see, the only thing I gave him was my piece of mind, and it was sweeet, made me all giddy afterwards, it's like one of those times where you're completely justified to be mean and ice cold and evil to someone, it felt great (not that I was evil, technically, I was all controlled anger and professionalism, which just made it the more effective of course!) :D

Brett said...

Seriously, fuck that. Hopefully, he doesn't try to take credit away from you as well.

Brett said...

You fucking rock! He's not worth even the slightest glimmer of your brillance.

Ida Nieninque Thomasdotter said...

Thanks, Brett! :D