Monday, June 29, 2009

Struggling through the summer.

I love the ocean. I've been in it more than I've been on land this past weekend. Sucks to not have anyone to swim with though. My baby brother is such a "badkruka" (I couldn't find a translation. But it's someone who's afraid to or doesn't like to swim or bathe, that boring person tip-toeing the water from the shore, feeling the temperature as their friend's dive in, sort of thing..) He rather lie on an inflatable mattress and tan than actually be in the water, he says it's too cold and he doesn't like to get his head and face wet or something.. he takes after mum, for sure.

They used to say I should have been a fish. When I was a kid, when I'd just learned to run but not yet how to swim..

I used to make a dash for it whenever we were out on the island, and of course I was allowed to splash around by the very shore, but not unattended, because I could very well drown.. but my parents couldn't watch me all the time, though, because they had better things to do apparently, which I doubt to this day, but that's how the story goes anyway.. so they had this ingenius idea to strap on a harness on me and attach a leash to it. I know.. well, anyway, one time they'd forgot to tie the other end of the leash to anything solid, so of course I made a run for it, down the path to the dock I went, shouting "baaaba!" as I went (a rather excited and childish version of the Swedish verb "bada" that translates to "swim" or "bathe")

My mum, then, acted on pure instinct and her instinct was to stop me from getting to far, so she simply stomped on the leash. It stopped me. I quite literally went, phomp, and fell to the ground. That was the end of harness-wearing days, on my over-protective dad's insistence, and I guess they were forced to take turns to do their other things from then on so that at least one of them was with me at all times, and watched my splash. As it should have been all along.

No longer the case. Not that I would want my parents sit and watch me do tricks in the water or anything, I'm not a dolphin, thank you. But I miss having someone to swim with out there. It's still nice though. I love being under the water and watch the sunbeams shoot through the darkness. And the water in the Baltic Sea is a mix between sweet and salt water, so it's not too salty on your eyes, so you can swim around down there with your eyes open for hours without hurting them. That's my favourite place to be.

The sun is literally killing me though. Not to mention the non-existant break from the daylight. But it will get darker and darker now as we move towards autumn. I should pack my things. Dad says to leave my books and everything here. I don't know if I can do that. I already had to part from some of my book collection this year. I'm definitely taking all my movies, though. And most of my clothes.

Oh, I had my doctor's appointment today. They even did an EKG on me (that's when they put little electronic thingys on your chest and check your heart activty) That was unpleasant. Not the actual procedure, cause it was painless and uneventful and quick and everything, but I had to take my shirt and bra off, not too comfortable with that, especially lying down under the hands of a complete stranger. She was nice about it though. So it was fine. I get to do my blood tests tomorrow. Really early in the morning, like ungodly so, merely minutes after I've surely fallen asleep, if I even get that far.. and all this only to have them tell me I'm fine. Ironic, isn't it.

3 comments:

Dear Ida said...

I loved the water an still do till this day too! It's one of my favorite places! I didn't know we had that in common, of course I was never a fish, I always thought of my elf as a mermaid, well half fish I guess(hahaha)!

And I too as a kid was on a leash, and broke free and made a run for it! Of course I got lost in a multicultural festival they have back in Edmonton in the summer. So thousands of people, you could imagine my mother. She said she hadn't even noticed my absence, until she felt that the leash was too soft, I normally tugged all the time so she instinctively turned to find no Cesar at the end of the leash! She flipped, lucky enough my dad was tall enough to see me running after something bright or shiny,(hahaha)can't really remember what it was that I was running after to be honest!

But yeah she hates me for it though cause that was the day I almost gave her a heart attack...

But my love if I were there with you I would totally swim next to you! I actually like to plug my nose and swim upside down and look at the beautiful shimmering of the sun's reflection on the surface of the water, and watch all the wonderful shapes they collaborate to create! It's amazing how something so natural, and for many pointless, can be so beautiful!

I miss you!

Cesar

Ida Nieninque Thomasdotter said...

hahaha, wow, that's amazing, that is kind spooky how alike we are deep down! (and more and more "shallow out" as well, since I'm channeling your spirit and terrifying everyone with sporadic bursts of fabulous and colour amidst the otherwise gloomy and dark existence that is mine... :)

i can so picture you running after something colourful and shiny... hey I got lost in a similar situation once, it was market more so than a festival, but it was big and crowded, my mum talks about it still, I think I almost gave her a heart attack too, although in my defence, she was the one that disappeared, not me! i simply went looking for her where she said she would be and when she wasn't I panicked and started looking everywhere.. i think some lady found me by the end of it. Mum refused to go back to that market, except once more, and that time she brought my older brother just in case, and this time we were all supposed to go to the cemetery to visit my grandma's grave, and I ran ahead, only I was "lost in my own world" as usual and I started dreaming away as I was walking and complete missed the church and mwalked way past it -- and my brother being over two metres tall could see above everyone else and he saw me walk right past it, but he could get to me, and i didn't hear him yelling, and since that day neither of them has gone back... it's a boring market anyway.

I love swimming under water and watch the sunrays! and explore the bottom, although there's not much to explore, the water is really dark here, and all you can see are the sun beams and the big rocks, slightly paler against the murky darkness, it's kind of magical, i love it, you would probably hate it though, because there's no sand or beach, just rocks, right? but the bottom of the sea, you know in between the rocks, it's all gross, it's like mud almost and it's disgusting, plus the water has all sorts of junk and fish and bugs and stuff, well it's not that much actually, it was worse in vancouver, but it's enough for simon and my mum to make a fuss, so you probably would too! ;)

hey, i think you have more in common with simon than you thought as well, turns out he's phobic of spiders as well! and he's really prissy about getting his clothes dirty and his hair messed up *snickers* it's so funny, and I've been telling him stories about living in van right, and he gets really interested and he's started asking questions about you and Ana, sometimes Brett, about what you're like and stuff, and he'd really like to meet you and hang out! :)

he had this idea the other day, once he's turned 18 he wants to go on holiday with me (yeah that'll end well..) he wants to go to Barcelona (because it's his favourite football team and they have the biggest football stadium in Europe, and they have a Picasso museum for me) and he he's been fantasizing about you and Ana joining us and stuff, and we'd all go to clubs at night and hang out on the beach during the day.. I said maybe, and that he should start saving up money for the trip now just in case, hahah :)

Ida Nieninque Thomasdotter said...

wow that was long..