Sunday, February 27, 2011

Short films and such

Finally got around to ripping the Vancouver Film School DVD and selecting the few acceptable clips from the short "Tequila Rose" (that I -- I'm ashamed to admit -- wrote the script for, in addition to playing the title role) and I've edited those together into a trailer-like show reel. Because there's not way I'm ever show the whole thing to anyone, since the good moments are severely over-shadowed by the horror that is the rest of the film. And the director, photographer and editor managed to put something together that is nowhere near what I'd intended with the script, so I don't want people to think I actually wrote that. The script wasn't that good to begin with, but it sure wasn't a sketch from SNL and that's what the end result resembles.

Had a meeting with Tove, the photographer who's going to shoot my short film that I'm preparing now, and talked about the cinematography. And yesterday I met up with Anja and we talked a little about the short as well, amongst everything else between the sky and the earth, as we are wont to do when we see each other. I'm trying to coax her into helping me with the casting in addition to being Assistant Director during the shoot. She really wants to, but she's got a lot on her plate right now with school and her own projects, so it's a matter of having the time. But I'm sure we'll make it work somehow.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure I still haven't seen my VFS DVD and I really don't intend to. but with those short film end projects it felt like we were still being treated like students. So I never wanted to be on set if I never had to be there.

but it's exciting to hear that you're working on your next short film. I really dug the last one I saw, so I'm very interested in what you come up with next. :D

Ida Nieninque Thomasdotter said...

Yeah, those short film productions, especially the actual shoots, were a joke. Especially the one I wrote, it felt like the "crew" was a little boys' club, just having a laugh with the whole thing (whilst checking me out--but maybe I was being paranoid--I don't know) and the final product is a joke too. But I selected a couple clips that are okay, because I need to have something to show people otherwise I'm never going to get any new auditions! :/

I really liked your performance in "You're not alone" though, you struck me as a real character actor, it wasn't Mike on the screen, you know... with (almost) everyone else, you still saw the actor, but you completely transformed. I thought that was cool.

I'm glad you're looking forward to my next short -- it's going to be awesome, because I'll have complete control over this one (mwahaha) and hey, I made a quick translation of the screenplay into english -- can I send it to you?? :)

Unknown said...

go right ahead, I'd love to read it :D