Friday, July 02, 2010

My words fly up, thoughts left on the ground

Yes. You heard me. It's that kind of day.

No, it could be worse. I'm just feeling under the weather and I have to go and serve posh(ish) people in this indian restaurant downtown. I had my first night yesterday and it went fine. I mean, every item on the menu is as good as gibberish to me, I have no idea what the difference between this and that is and which is milder or hotter, but there was enough people coming in so that it didn't get boring, and still not become stressful, and compared to my last experience as a waitress (/barista/shift supervisor/dish washer) it was heavenly. For one thing, we weren't out of ninety per cent of the items on the menu, in fact we weren't out of any items on the menu, and nothing broke down, no fridge, no freezer, no toilet, no employees...

So, yeah, it went okay. The boss said I did a good job and that I could come back tonight, he also told me what my wages are going to be and that in the summer I'll mainly be working extra, which means he'll call me up if someone gets sick (which is a little less okay) but toward the end of summer and especially in the autumn I'll be able to work loads (still not okay... because) I wanted it the other way round, work loads this summer, then extra when school starts.

Also I have this job interview for Pocket Shop on monday that I'm really excited about because I always wanted a day job working with either films or books! So if I get that, I won't be working in the restaurant at all, because the book shop is a more permanent position, either part- or full time. So I'm starting to feel a great amount of resistence to even bother with the waitress gig, especially since I don't know if he still considers me a trainee or whatever and if he's not planning to pay me until I know the menu by heart or something. We'll see, I guess. At least I'll get a free meal by the end of the night (That sounded just awful, like I'm toeing the edge of the cliff and am about to fall and hit rock bottom, and next I'll be dining with the Salvation Army or something... no offence to the homeless, but the day I have to pretend to accept Jesus as my saviour in order to get a hot meal from the Salvation Army, I'll consider myself sitting on the rock bottom, but that's just me.)

So the movie "Gerry" is really bloody cool. I watched it again last night or this morning or however you want to look at it and it's incredible. It's not even movie. It's an experience. I love when those films get made, because I'm so sick of everyone who've crammed themselves into this little box labelled "How to be a successful film maker" is throwing all these stupid rules at me about what I can and can't do, like I don't know how to build a commercially successful concept, like I haven't inadvertedly seen a thousand examples of it, I'll just pick a script at random and change the details, tadaa!, but it just so happens that I don't want to do that, call me pretentious or naïve, but I actually want to bring something a little different and a little new to the table, because otherwise, what's the point? So, Gus Van Sant, definitely an inspiration.

Off to refill my coffee mug. (Graduation gift from my mum, it's ceramic and it says "There's a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in", I thought it was perfect, and when I told Anja she loved it too, the quote I mean, and then I told Min and she frowned and said, "That only works if you were to break the mug and get a crack in it...", just a prime example of the difference of perspective between people! And that's why you need a Min to tell you're story ideas to, because if anyone is going to push you to know your story inside and out and be clear, it's her! I don't know if irony is somehow related to that, or if that's just my writing. Min has a hard time getting irony, it's really amazing, I've never met someone who doesn't pick up on irony before... it really keeps you on your toes in conversation, and it brings to your attention just how ironic and sarcastic you really are, and by you, I mean I.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hearing about it, I thought the crack was already in the mug...