Saturday, June 26, 2010

Midsummer's Eve in Stockholm.

Yes it gets hot in Sweden. Min's brazilian boyfriend who is visiting the country right now would and have disagreed with me on this on several occasions already, but everything is relative...

So Midsummer was a success. I had a great time. It was relaxed, albeit too hot at first but then it got cloudy and perfect, we went for a swim in the lake, participated ironically in the traditional Midsummer festivities, well didn't so much participate as join in with a little singing and laughing at participants, but the I entered into the spirit of the thing, especially considering I couldn't find any sun block and for part of the day the sun was scorching... or warm at least...

We had a very random, impulsive get-together with a couple of people at the train stop while we where waiting for the train back into the city as well. They offered us strawberry cake and we offered them red wine in return. We also played frisbee with them and jumped with a long skipping rope. Good times.


Funny anecdote:

On my way home just now on the metro, at half past two in the morning, I'm sitting there, opposite this slightly weird but safe-looking guy in his mid thirties who could have been occasionally talking to himself, but I'm not sure (you never can be these days, what with all the crazy technology like handsfree... haha.)

And with all my make-up washed off, hair all tangled, plus wearing a baggy long-sleeve and jeans shorts... I'm a contrast to the other dolls present, right, and I'm thinking, well at least no-one will bother me, they'll think me a bum or something with my huge VFS backpack and so I put my ipod ear pieces in and crank some Dimmu Borgir...

When lo and behold, this guy plops down in the seat next to mine. In my peripheral I can see that he's turned around to stare at my profile point blank and is attempting at conversation... at first I play unaware, but he's still mouthing in my general direction, so I do the whole, glance then turn and look politely surprised and take one of my ear pieces out and say "I'm sorry what?" (only in Swedish) and then the conversation went as follows:

The guy next to me: *slurring* YoubeentoTanton?
Me: What was that, sorry?
The guy next to me: You been to Tanton?
Me: yyyeah, yes, I've been at a friend's place.
The guy next to me (nods, almost smugly, for a very long time, then...): Hadagoodtime?
Me: Eh yeah, yeah...... Yourself?
The guy next to me: Yeah.

(Pause, with awkward - for me - stearing and possibly leering - from him)

Me: Okay then.
The guy next to me: YougointoTcen?
Me: What was that?
The guy next to me: You going to T-cen?
Me: No?
The guy next to me: Mörby Centrum?
Me: Oh! Yeah. I mean, no, I'm going to Enebyberg, but yeah.
The guy next to me: Really. I wouldn't have guessed that.
Me:...No?
The guy next to me: Would've thought T-centralen, that's where you can take all the trains... and the tubes, those too...

Then the guy opposite me joins in: Not anymore you can't, the trains, they stopped running now, I think.
The guy next to me: Really? There aren't any trains anymore?
The guy opposite: I hope so, I need to catch one, I'm going further south- That's great that you guys had fun tonight. I didn't.
Me:...You didn't?
The guy opposite: No, not particularly, no.
Me: Why is that?
The guy opposite: Well the girl I'm interested in is sort of promiscious. And my closest friends have turned their back on me.
Me: Oh... no...
The guy opposite: Yeah, but that's how it goes sometimes, you just have to accept that sometimes you have bad nights out, I'm hoping tomorrow will be better, I'm going to a picnic.
Me: With other friends?
The guy opposite: Yes, other friends, that's right, yes.

The guy next to me takes out his iphone and mumbles something to regain my attention, once again I ask him to repeat himself and he asks me for my number.

Me: Why, what are you going to do with it?
The guy next to me: Dunno. Text you or something.
Me: There's really no point to that, I'm not interested.
The guy next to me: Not interested? In me?
Me: In anyone... I'm already involved, actually.

Speaker's voice: T-Centralen.

The guy next to me gets up to get off the tube, he puts a friendly hand on my arm and says good bye and take care. Meanwhile the guy opposite has also got up out of his seat and is standing there, and waits until the guy next to me has left and then waves good bye at me and says: "Good luck with you relationship" and then he also gets off.

And then I sit there by myself, trying not to laugh aloud and to figure out if that just happened.

And yes, Cesar, I know you think I'm "so mean". Which is complete and utter bollocks of course, I was a true gentlewoman to both those... people. So there.

2 comments:

DeathShrike said...

I suppose this "Cesar" thinks you should have given them both quick hand jobs. Also, jean shorts do not protect you from, but rather encourage attention. At least from me. I like that you asked the guy WHY he wanted your phone number. Hilarious.

Ida Nieninque Thomasdotter said...

Really? But no, these jean shorts go down to my knees and every other girl was and is wearing miniskirts and hotpants at the most this summer, I think it's a fashion thing, I'm not sure, but everyone's dressed in too big t-shirts, too short jackets and nearly non-existent shorts or skirts...

And I think it was a valid question under the circs ;)