Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Burning

I just put a pot of chickpeas to boil on the stove and forgot about them. And the people I live with discovered them before the smell of something burning reached my room. Quite embarassing. They joked about burning down the house now that we're not allowed live there for much longer, so they weren't angry or anything. Although I think I might have ruined their pot... I blame the heat. I can't think, let alone function in this sauna of a house, and I would go outside to cool off, if it was actually cool outside, which it's not.

I had a great time on Sunday, I went to Min's parents house, and Min showed me, her friend Rasmus and her boyfriend Pedro how to make these Chinese dumplings, it was quite fun once you got the hang of it, very therapeutic, and then we ate them. Another one of Min's friends showed up as well, Becka, and together with Min's little brother Sean (I don't know if he spells it that way...) we all played a game of Kubb, and then we played charades for a long time. The girl's won, both games, obviously. Ha-ha.

And the couple that I live with currently came back from their holiday last night. They gave me a gift certificate for the movie theatre to say thank you for keeping their birds alive (it would have been bird and plants, but I actually managed to kill two of those, but thankfully they never mentioned it...)

I got a text message from the owner of the indian restaurant this morning, or afternoon, asking me to come in to work tomorrow. I really have a bad feeling about this job, especially since I told me brother and sister-in-law about it and my sister-in-law went all passionate about quitting it immediately because it seemed obvious I was being exploited... but I took some literature and lists with me home last time I worked, so I have to give those back anyway, and it doesn't feel right to show up and drop those off and not stay and work. Besides it's not like I have another summer job lined up, so I might as well, at least I'll get a bit of pocket change in tips and a free meal. And I can ask him if he doesn't need my bank info to be able to transfer me my wages and gauge his reaction to it. Maybe I'm being paranoid, I shouldn't jump to conclusions. But even if he pays me, I'm still not going to take responsibility for that bar of his that he wants to open, the whole thing is just too unprofessional and chaotic.

No comments: