Friday, November 07, 2008

Not Sorrow.

I had my second audition at Emily Carr the other day. It was a really awesome short, I didn't get the script until just before I had to go down there, but I read through it a couple of times and it was really imaginative and the writing was incredible, so I was pretty excited about the whole thing.

And as I was sitting outside the auditon room this guy comes walking up with a coffee cup to give to the person inside, and he says hello to me and the other girl waiting, and then I feel him looking at me, so I look back and smile, you know one of those awkward smiles between strangers who are literally stranded with one another. And he asks me if I'm on Casting Workbook and, short but drawn-out, awkward dialogue in summary: he was casting for the two characters in his own short in the building across the street and thought I would be perfect for the female one, only I hadn't come up as an option from Casting Workbook. And then he asked me if I'd have an extra 15 mins after I was done with this audition to come and read for him, and of course I said yes.

I did my audition, it was really weird, because it was a no dialogue scene, and the guy basically read the scene aloud and I just had to react to what he was saying and use that as direction. I hated it, I felt so lost and stupid, and I had to do it about four times, and by the end of it he and the girl were going on about how I was really in the moment (which I wasn't, but I didn't tell them that for obvious reasons) and the guy said he loved my eyes (that's constructive feedback right there!) but they seemed pleased, so I had my hopes up and then I ran to the other building and did a coldread with the coffee guy and he seemed even more pleased, so I don't know. I do know that I do much better with words than actions, so I'm sure I wasn't nearly as awkward in the second audition as I was in the first...

My agent called me today and said she'd heard back from the first guy and that it had been really close between me and another girl, and though he loved my audition and thought I was a great person and all, he decided to go with the other girl, but was it alright if he recommended me for other students at Emily Carr who were also doing final projects right now. So that's good feedback, I guess. It would have been great to do that short though, because it was a wicked story and very challenging character (the embodiment of Sorrow!) and whatnot, but ah well...

Still haven't heard from the second guy, so am still keeping my fingers crossed for that one.

Also I have a new audition for a commercial tomorrow and I won't get the sides until I get there, so it's either one of those stupid action-type of auditions, or a cold read. I hope it's a cold read (I'm good at those, at least.)

Now I have to finish the 2nd draft of my screenplay before going back to Roots for an employee meeting at 6:30 and then rush over to Ana's for a writing/production meeting at 7:30 -- I'm definitely keeping myself busy!

Oh, and it's raining.

No comments: