Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I LOVE AUTUMN

Working in Roots is not my thing at all. I understand that it's good quality clothes and genuine 100% italian leather bags made in Toronto as opposed to China as everything else in the store (except for the new scarves that are, as I discovered today, made in Germany.) and all that, but to be honest (and I sincerely hope my manager or co-workers don't stumble upon this blog in the near future!) I couldn't care less if I was apathetic. Personally, what I do to contribute to the world of fashion, is I go to a thrift store and if I like the look of it and it's comfortable (and nine times out of ten, black) and cost under $10 then chances are I might buy it. Shoes, bags and purses, whether they're comfortable or not, I probably won't, because to be honest I don't see the fascination. At all. I still have the black boots I bought in sixth grade. When I was younger I would design and make my own clothes a lot of the time, at least that way there was some creativity exercised as well, but I couldn't drag my sowing machine with me everywhere I've moved and I definitely couldn't bring it overseas with me, so I'm not doing that anymore. Now, I might be wanted by the fashion police in some areas of the world, but at least I have somewhat interesting hobbies, and I used to have a life as well, one that involved more complicated and profound obsession, mainly chiselling out a facade of self-adoration, no but seriously... my best friend adores fashion and wants to be a designer and he's obsessed with shoes and boots, but whereas I do like clothes and design in all shapes and forms, I have a short attention span for things that are mainly functional in my life and it might not be logical, but it just bores me... My head's in the clouds half the time and by the time I discover that I do like something that's "in", it's out... or usually the other way round actually, I'll wear whatever I feel like and be out, and by the time I've tired of it, that style or colour or whatever it is, comes into fashion... so I guess you could say I'm ahead of my time! Hah. Well, there you go. You can keep your logic for all I care.

Back to the job in Roots for a moment though, the whole people aspect of it is even worse than when you're waitressing, because when you're waitressing you're at least expected to approach people, in fact they get pretty grumpy if you take too long in doing so, whereas in retail they run away from you or glare if you as much as think of cracking a polite smile or greeting them as they enter your store... and it is not in my nature to approach people, or talk to people, or smile at people. It is in my nature to avoid people at all costs unless the few friends I've consented to make over the years literally corner me and introduce me to someone, I might consider getting to know the person, but before I do know them there will be as little chit-chat as humanly possible... well, that was the old me anyway, I guess I'll have to change if I'm going to survive the next year or so (unless I decide to move out of the country after all, I still haven't decided)

Good news coming up though. I finished my screenplay with the working title "Tequila Rose". The first draft is officially done. Now all I need is some feedback and some re-writes under my belt until it's perfect, and then I think that is going to be my first own project in the spring.

I've also started working on a second screenplay actually. The working title being "Blue print". It's about halfway done right now. If I didn't work 24/7 I might actually finish that one too before the next moon, but alas, I have no spare time to as much as eat or sleep anymore, so I don't see that happening...

Tonight, I'm going to an ESL Writing Workshop at the Main Library downtown. Something different to do, I figured. And afterwards I'll probably head over to North Van and spend some quality time with my best friend Ces, since I barely see him anymore because of both of our schedules. Same with my other best friend, Ana. But she's taking the writing workshop too, so I'll et to see her tonight too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tequila Rose is done?
awesome!
also, Retail isn't fun unless you're willing to be full of yourself in the context of the product you're selling.

Well ... that's the way I see it.

Ida Nieninque Thomasdotter said...

Yeah, I completely agree with you on that one. And I might be full of myself, but I happen to think that I am more important than any product that might be around at the time of collision with annoying customers, so that doesn't quite work to my favour ;)

Yep, Tequila Rose is done and done, well the first draft is anyway! I hope to make it eventually, maybe in the spring when I have my shit together! I also started on a new screenplay, I'm about two thirds done with it :)

Anonymous said...

awesome. I apparently need to rewrite, the one about the couples, completely. hahaha

awesome. I like reading what you write. so i should read the hell out of tequila rose.

Defiance Of God said...

I so admire someone with the dedication to finish a screenplay. I care barely managed two verses and a poor chorus. Keep the soul alive. Dani x

Ida Nieninque Thomasdotter said...

Well, dedication maybe, disciplin not so much! :/