Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Vitamin water, the new cigarettes?

Hello everyone, once again, it's been a while, I apologise. That's the thing with blogging though, when you have things to write about you don't have the time to, and when you have time to update your blog you really have nothing interesting to say so you ramble on about your cat, the weather, cornflakes and quote music lyrics that really speak to you for some unearthly reason to pass yourself off as deep. But anyway.

I got a crash course in Avid from editor on the Argentina film, and then I started my second intership, which it'll only last a few days total by the looks of it, I've been doing it for two days, and then when the remaining material arrives it'll probably be one more. What I do is that I get the footage up on the screen and find the frame where the clapper comes together, then I go to the sound file for that take and listen for the sound of the clap and time them together so that the footage and sound are in sync with each other. When you've done that with all the material, you cut it up into clips, starting after "Action" and ending before "Cut" and categorize them. This so that it will be easier for the editor to start editing the film. Basically the dirty work of the editing process, although the editor has been working simultaneously with me, so he didn't take me in so that he wouldn't have to do it himself, but so it would go faster and he could start editing sooner. He's also editing the zombie film, and I overheard him talking to a class mate about a script he's written, so he's pretty busy by the sounds of it.

As am I, because beside these two internships, we've also started an evening course in sound editing now and we're starting to plan our next projects, whilst finishing up our previous ones. So plenty of irons in the fire! (and I love it!)

My next project is a short film, a drama, I've already written the script and I also want to direct it, and this time, act in it as well. It's called "Vargens timma" (The wolf's hour. Not to be mistaken for Hour of the wolf, which was my initial idea for the title, until I realized it was already taken by Ingmar Bergman in 1967...), after that I want to do a novella film (which is in-between short and feature length, and is half an hour, which I think is pretty Swedish, or at least I never heard of it in Vancouver... but bascially it's like in literature you have short story, novella and novel... only in Sweden there's no term for novella, which is pretty ironic, but anyway, I'm getting off the topic...) which I've also written the script for, "Brev till min mamma" (Letter to my mother) and after that I have two feature length ideas and one idea that can be either a novella or a feature, I haven't decided yet, but it's inspired by the (not so good) movie "Two girls and a guy" with Robert Downey, Jr. but in my film all three actually get together like a triple (as opposed to couple) and don't just talk about it for two hours, and I think it'll end with one of the girls getting pregnant and the trio deciding to raise the child together and continue living like a family. What do you think? That's my romantic comedy, by the way. The other two features are much more gruesome and extreme. Lots of sex and violence. And sexually confused and deviated characters. And bad language. And good music. And smoking, lots of smoking, because even though I'm starting to dislike it more and more myself in reality, whenever I write something, my characters turn out to be smokers, because I still have some semi-subconscious notion that smoking is cool. Well, it does look cool on film, especially with the right lighting. Like the opening sequence in "A guide to recognizing your saints" with Robert Downey, Jr. It's just him, sitting on a dark stage, holding a lit cigarette, and steeling himself to start reading from his book, and the lighting is sort of golden, and the smoke is blue. It's really quite beautiful.

Speaking of beautiful. The footage from Argentina is gorgeous. The photographer is really talented. I love it. I forget her last name now, but her first name is Iga, I have to get back to you with her last name, because you'll want to keep track of her in the future.

3 comments:

fredrik said...

du har då fullt upp hör man! låter jävligt roligt! :D -kram på dig.

Dear Ida said...

I like the idea! All three raising the baby, it hasn't been done before! And I wouldn't be surprised if it actually happening right now somewhere.

Smoking does look cool on films!

I can't stop saying how happy it make me feel to know that your having fun and really enjoying yourself!

I miss you babe. I know we always say it but I do. I miss having you around. Your presence. And I tend to wonder how great it would be to be around each other, especially now that we're both on a more mature and positive level!

I'm auditioning for a tv show tomorrow, I have to send in my audition! Keep your fingers crossed my love cause if I get it babe there are really good chances of me coming to see you! I'm mean I'd have the cash, plus you'd be able to see me on tv hahaha!

Love you, don't forget about me!

Cesar

Ida Nieninque Thomasdotter said...

Wow, congratulations! I'm ecstatic for you, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!! Not purely out of selfishness so that I might maybe get to see you, but because you should be on TV for all the world to see! I miss you like crazy too, I know, the words sort of start to lose their true meaning from all the repetition but I know you mean them as much as I do. It's so weird, I still feel like you're one of the corner stones of my life, like not just in spirit and my heart and all that, but like a fundemental part of my actual everyday life which is insane because I don't actually see you, I don't talk to you, I don't go for coffee with you or go dancing with you, I don't wake up with you and watch films with you, but it feels like you're still the other half.. you know? There is no way I'd ever forget you
Love always and always!
Ida