Saturday, August 06, 2011

swedish wedding

Shooting has been great, although the sleep deprivation was starting to get to everyone I think. Today (which we all have off) was much needed. I slept in, then enjoyed my coffee for a looong time before I started getting ready for the wedding. I don't know how successful I've been in my attempt to look like a dame from the 20s, but considering what I've got to work with (both in terms of funds and myself with my too short, red-dyed hair and various visible tattoos) I did the best I could, really! (although, when I was finished, it struck me how little -- no -- difference there was from the way I usually dress up for special occasions and parties..) This poor guy spotted me in the way to the tube and proceeded to strike up a conversation with me, and I was polite and nice, but also ruthlessly honest when answering his repeated questions about my sexual orientation, marital status and future plans of changing said status (and orientation) but somehow, the nice thing threw him off and gave him mixed signals anyway, because he seemed convinced that he'd be able to get me to reconsider my answers, life philosophy and my decision not to accept his number, given enough time. Poor guy didn't of course. I think, amongst all of us in that compartment, he was the only one surprised by this. He even attempted to hug me goodbye when I went to get off the tube. I shook his hand. I felt bad for the guy, though. He seemed really nice. Can't be easy to live with such a strong urge to get married to good woman and have kids and stuff. Me, I fortunately don't have to deal with that kind of pressure, so really I can't possibly understand what it's like. I learnt a bit about Tunisian culture when it comes to marriage. Apparently the wedding goes on for seven days, they swim during daytime then there are these huge parties all night, every night. Not for the bride, though. She gets to stay at home. At least for four days, then on the fifth she moves from her patents place to her new home (the husbands place) and for the remaining three nights, she still gets to stay in, but she'll have her husband with her, so it's okay.. The guy agreed that this was unfair, though. So hopefully with future generations, this tradition might get updated? Let's hope so, for the sake of tunisian women, since nit getting married isn't an option.

No comments: